On September 21st, Gloria Ferrer joined winechat as a special guest. The bubbles went to everyone’s head as we learned more about the sparkling wines that this winery produces.
Fun facts about Gloria Ferrer:
- Gloria Ferrer was the first sparkling wine house in California’s Sonoma Carneros region
- Founding Gloria Ferrer Caves & Vineyards was the fulfillment of a longtime dream for José Ferrer
- Warm days, cool nights, predictable winds, summer fog, and a long growing season in Carneros create a great climate for growing Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Carneros was established as an AVA in 1983
- The Sonoma Carneros region used to be under water so there are lots of very rich ingredients in the soil
- Pinot Noir is planted in the rocky volcanic soils on the estate’s highest ridges while chardonnay is planted in the clay-rich soils on the lower sections of the estate
- Gloria Ferrer recommends chilling sparkling wines over ice or in the fridge for at least 30 minutes
- There is no need to swirl a sparkling wine. If you do, you’ll waste the aroma & disturb the bubbles. Just put your nose in & sniff!
- Gloria Ferrer uses methode champenoise to make all of their sparkling wines
- Most sparkling wines are nonvintage and are a mixture of many different harvests
- Gloria Ferrer’s winemaker Bob Iantosca has created more award-winning California sparkling wines than any other single winemaker!
And the most fun fact of the night: There are approximately 49 million bubbles in an average bottle of sparkling wine! No need to count – just enjoy!